Below are a few notes on ideas / who to follow / what to make / what to do to keep up your skills this summer. Challenge yourself to make something every day. Enjoy!
KEEP UP CREATIVE AND SOFTWARE SKILLS
CREATE AN ONLINE PORTFOLIO
You will need one! Here are a few ideas using template sites. These are great options. Here are some of our alumni samples:
FOLLOW ON INSTAGRAM
The Nielsen Company
Nielsen is a global measurement and data analytics company that provides the most complete and trusted view available of consumers and markets worldwide. Our approach marries proprietary Nielsen data with other data sources to help clients around the world understand what’s happening now, what’s happening next, and how to best act on this knowledge.
For more than 90 years Nielsen has provided data and analytics based on scientific rigor and innovation, continually developing new ways to answer the most important questions facing the media, advertising, retail and fast-moving consumer goods industries. An S&P 500 company, Nielsen has operations in over 100 countries, covering more than 90% of the world’s population.
Our interfaces are designed for consumers, businesses, and internal consultants. Fortune 500 companies need to quantitatively assess and improve innovative product ideas before they release them into market.
Nielsen UX designers take what would be complex data and make it possible for consultants and customers to comb through it and uncover insight about how their ideas would perform if given to customers.
Our taglines are “An uncommon sense of the consumer” and the newer “The science behind what’s next.” These summarize what we help our clients achieve through intuitive digital interfaces.
This international and high-expectation customer base affords our Designers the chance to grow their credentials on a global stage.
Our products are built to visualize big data in a way that generates clear insight. The new Designer would not be designing simple form fill-fill apps but would work with complexity at the edge of human cognition. Nielsen Designers makes this complex the data actionable for our customers. It is an opportunity for a Designer to show their stuff and make a name for themselves.
We need some fresh perspectives and someone passionate about the latest UX patterns and trends. A human-centered Designer is preferable, but we have a dedicated user research team to aid the UX Designers doing prototype tests. What we are looking for is someone who can make a customers jaw drop the moment they see some our application. Nielsen has a cutting-edge, bold brand and needs to leverage contemporary aesthetic to make tools that match.
Nielsen would help along the way. We have a fully built Innovation team so this new Designer would have a strong foundation to work from and an opportunity to collaborate with stakeholders. He or she does not need years of experience, only a passion for design, self-starter attitude, and an ability to churn out creative, well-informed designs.
This Designer would have a ample support from our team members. We are ready to provide an environment for a Designer to grow. So long as they have a passion for the work and are willing to work hard they will fit in well.
– Human-Computer Interaction
– Web and Mobile App Design
– Data Visualization
– Sketch / Figma / Illustrator
We’re flexible, please send us your portfolio and we’ll talk.
We need a portfolio of your work, preferably with your thought process for each project.
Last, please let us know what about Nielsen’s work motivates you. Please don’t feel the need to think too hard about it. A 1-3 sentence blurb will suffice. We only want to to get a feel for your competencies and motivations in order to start our phone conversation.
Exploration School Inc.
EXPLO is a not-for-profit educational organization that promotes creativity, engagement, and intellectual daring. We operate internationally renowned summer programs on the campuses of Yale University, Wellesley College, and Wheaton College. We also work with schools and other not-for-profit educational organizations across the U.S. and abroad, to help them build more engaging and creative learning environments through teacher professional development, curricular design, and management and leadership training.
As Brand Designer, you will own every aspect of marketing design from concept to production as you steward the visual identity of EXPLO across various media: produce national flyers, create and place digital advertising and social campaigns, design website landing pages and HTML emails, produce visual assets for blog posts and templates for PDF guides, create collateral goods, posters, and other campus signage.
Working in conjunction with a nimble communications team, including a content writer, a videographer, an outreach coordinator, and the Director of Communications, you’ll conceptualize and craft bold, visually-arresting brand experiences that help EXPLO expand the reach and influence of our organization as we explore new educational ventures.
The Work You’ll Be Doing
– Print design: viewbooks, mailers, display materials
– Web design: landing pages, email templates, mini-sites
– Booking, placement, and project management of print campaigns
– Design of internal documents and collateral goods (letterhead, business cards, etc.)
– Development of visual assets to accompany blog and social media posts
– Management of design assets (photos, logos, iconography) and graphic standards
– Environmental design — ensuring that the EXPLO brand is consistent and identifiable in a range of physical environments from camp fairs to summer campuses, and even our HQ, the Exploration Center
Founded in 1976, EXPLO (incorporated as EXPLOration School) is a mission-driven, educational not-for-profit focused on building engaging and creative learning environments. 75,000+ alums from more than 93 countries and all 50 states have attended our critically acclaimed summer programs, which are known for their hands-on and student-centered approach to learning. We also work directly with schools and other not-for-profit educational organizations through teacher professional development, curricular design, and management and leadership training.
Our office environment is friendly, creative, and fun. There are 40 full-time employees, and 7 full-time dogs. We take what we do very seriously, but not ourselves. On any given day, you’ll find colleagues testing a wind tunnel, air rockets, or other curriculum projects, taking a quick ping-pong break, or having any number of themed food events, such as our recent macaroni and cheese recipe competition. You will also find us working very hard: we care deeply about what we do, and we care about supporting each other in our work.
EXPLO’s year-round headquarters are located in The Exploration Center, a converted printing factory in Norwood, MA. Our location is an easy reverse commute from Boston/Cambridge, and just a few blocks away from the Norwood Central commuter rail station and the 34E bus.
– Medical, dental, and vision insurance
– 401(a) and 403(b) retirement plans
– Long-term disability insurance and life insurance
– Medical and dependant care flexible spending plans
– Discounted MBTA passes
– Tuition abatement for children attending EXPLO summer programs
– Access to our makerspace and woodshop, including 3D printers, a huge laser cutter, and a gigantic CNC machine
– Has exceptional design skills and project management skills
– Is fluent in Adobe CC Suite, particularly InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
– Has general experience with content management systems, and specific familiarity with HubSpot, WordPress, and/or HTML and CSS
– Has previously managed web and/or print advertising campaigns
– Is curious, inquisitive, and bright — interested in how design can drive EXPLO’s brand platform forward
– Can communicate clearly and effectively with stakeholders at all levels
– Is a problem solver that sees beyond the surface — you understand how each piece of the puzzle comprises the larger brand narrative
– Can bridge design goals of clarity and function with creative brand expression that features bold, provocative, fun, and compelling illustration and imagery
– Is comfortable working with abstract concepts and creating visual translations for a range of audiences
– Can communicate design decisions clearly and effectively — both willing to fight for an idea and to compromise when necessary
– Is able to identify the most effective assets for a particular goal from a large library of photographic material
– Has strong attention to detail and is meticulous when it comes to typography, grids, balance, and white space
– Has strong time management and organizational skills: can design quickly and frequently share progress openly, and can effectively juggle multiple projects and goals.
– Is comfortable working in an open office setting
The Following Would be a Plus in Your Candidacy:
– Experience with press checks
– A love of the color orange
– Illustration and iconography experience
– Photography experience
– Strong proofreading skills
– Experience with inbound marketing techniques
Please note that we are an organization committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
Click the following link to fill out the application online:
So much here for all creative people! I suggest subscribing to their weekly posts!
Send a resume including art and other work experiences, a few images of your work or link to a website.
Print Production Intern
Lovepop is looking for ambitious print production interns for Spring/Summer 2018 to help evolve the future of our wedding offerings. We are looking for people with a balanced mix of great attention to detail, fundamental understanding of digital printing, and a desire to learn more about the needs of Lovepop customers. This position is full-time, a minimum of 3 months with room to extend, paid, and/or for credit. You will be working with a broad range of departments, most closely with Wedding Design, but also with our Wedding Concierge, Product, and Production teams.
What you’ll do here:
– Proof production files to ensure flawless and timely delivery of wedding orders on a daily basis, including alignment, spell check, and color accuracy
– Work within our OMS platform to manage orders through production
– Collaborate with our concierge and production teams to make sure orders are created perfectly
– Color match across different environments so our product is represented beautifully and accurately to the customer
– Work with the wedding design team and give feedback on new assets
– Sketch and brainstorm concepts for new assets
You’ll love this job if you:
– Have an incredible eye for detail and are always going above and beyond to ensure the highest quality product is built
– Are excited to learn new things and can apply new information quickly
– Can handle multiple tasks on a short timeline and be able to prioritize incoming work efficiently
– Are excited to work with custom printing and production
– Are great at using Illustrator and your favorite command
– Can think on your feet when issues arise and are unfazed by unexpected challenges
– Are goal-driven and is excited to do whatever it takes to get to the best resultsLove exploring a variety of responsibilities within a new team
You’ll be great if you:
– Have experience working with paper
– Love all things wedding
– Have print production experience
– Have a strong eye for color and layout
– Have Rhino experience
– Have a love for Lovepop!
LovePop will be participating in the Design Portfolio Review on March 15th and Recruiting Day on March 16th. We’d like to meet you at these events!
To be considered for an interview on Recruiting Day, apply by
Applicants who are selected for Recruiting Day will be notified by March 2nd and scheduled for an appointment on 3/16.
To meet with us at the Design Portfolio Review, sign-up for a review time slot on March 7th.
Please apply at :
Include your resume and all work that you have that shows your skills! We love to see sketches, illustrations, and anything that is paper or laser cut!