Exploration School Inc.
EXPLO is a not-for-profit educational organization that promotes creativity, engagement, and intellectual daring. We operate internationally renowned summer programs on the campuses of Yale University, Wellesley College, and Wheaton College. We also work with schools and other not-for-profit educational organizations across the U.S. and abroad, to help them build more engaging and creative learning environments through teacher professional development, curricular design, and management and leadership training.
As Brand Designer, you will own every aspect of marketing design from concept to production as you steward the visual identity of EXPLO across various media: produce national flyers, create and place digital advertising and social campaigns, design website landing pages and HTML emails, produce visual assets for blog posts and templates for PDF guides, create collateral goods, posters, and other campus signage.
Working in conjunction with a nimble communications team, including a content writer, a videographer, an outreach coordinator, and the Director of Communications, you’ll conceptualize and craft bold, visually-arresting brand experiences that help EXPLO expand the reach and influence of our organization as we explore new educational ventures.
The Work You’ll Be Doing
– Print design: viewbooks, mailers, display materials
– Web design: landing pages, email templates, mini-sites
– Booking, placement, and project management of print campaigns
– Design of internal documents and collateral goods (letterhead, business cards, etc.)
– Development of visual assets to accompany blog and social media posts
– Management of design assets (photos, logos, iconography) and graphic standards
– Environmental design — ensuring that the EXPLO brand is consistent and identifiable in a range of physical environments from camp fairs to summer campuses, and even our HQ, the Exploration Center
Founded in 1976, EXPLO (incorporated as EXPLOration School) is a mission-driven, educational not-for-profit focused on building engaging and creative learning environments. 75,000+ alums from more than 93 countries and all 50 states have attended our critically acclaimed summer programs, which are known for their hands-on and student-centered approach to learning. We also work directly with schools and other not-for-profit educational organizations through teacher professional development, curricular design, and management and leadership training.
Our office environment is friendly, creative, and fun. There are 40 full-time employees, and 7 full-time dogs. We take what we do very seriously, but not ourselves. On any given day, you’ll find colleagues testing a wind tunnel, air rockets, or other curriculum projects, taking a quick ping-pong break, or having any number of themed food events, such as our recent macaroni and cheese recipe competition. You will also find us working very hard: we care deeply about what we do, and we care about supporting each other in our work.
EXPLO’s year-round headquarters are located in The Exploration Center, a converted printing factory in Norwood, MA. Our location is an easy reverse commute from Boston/Cambridge, and just a few blocks away from the Norwood Central commuter rail station and the 34E bus.
– Medical, dental, and vision insurance
– 401(a) and 403(b) retirement plans
– Long-term disability insurance and life insurance
– Medical and dependant care flexible spending plans
– Discounted MBTA passes
– Tuition abatement for children attending EXPLO summer programs
– Access to our makerspace and woodshop, including 3D printers, a huge laser cutter, and a gigantic CNC machine
– Has exceptional design skills and project management skills
– Is fluent in Adobe CC Suite, particularly InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator
– Has general experience with content management systems, and specific familiarity with HubSpot, WordPress, and/or HTML and CSS
– Has previously managed web and/or print advertising campaigns
– Is curious, inquisitive, and bright — interested in how design can drive EXPLO’s brand platform forward
– Can communicate clearly and effectively with stakeholders at all levels
– Is a problem solver that sees beyond the surface — you understand how each piece of the puzzle comprises the larger brand narrative
– Can bridge design goals of clarity and function with creative brand expression that features bold, provocative, fun, and compelling illustration and imagery
– Is comfortable working with abstract concepts and creating visual translations for a range of audiences
– Can communicate design decisions clearly and effectively — both willing to fight for an idea and to compromise when necessary
– Is able to identify the most effective assets for a particular goal from a large library of photographic material
– Has strong attention to detail and is meticulous when it comes to typography, grids, balance, and white space
– Has strong time management and organizational skills: can design quickly and frequently share progress openly, and can effectively juggle multiple projects and goals.
– Is comfortable working in an open office setting
The Following Would be a Plus in Your Candidacy:
– Experience with press checks
– A love of the color orange
– Illustration and iconography experience
– Photography experience
– Strong proofreading skills
– Experience with inbound marketing techniques
Please note that we are an organization committed to inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
Click the following link to fill out the application online: